Why a data repository ?
One of the observations that led us to launch Boavizta was that we were sorely lacking in relevant data to evaluate the environmental impacts of digital technology. Beyond the impacts linked to the electricity consumption of the equipment used to deliver digital services, it is essential to know the impacts of the manufacturing, transport and end of life of all this equipment. Especially since for some of them, such as terminals and screens, these phases of the life cycle have a much greater impact than their electricity consumption.
Until now, the impact measurements of these phases were complex to implement or required proprietary data, and were too time-consuming and costly to be carried out regularly, even on simple perimeters.
Boavizta believes that another approach is possible and that it would be much more suitable to make the evaluation of the environmental impact of digital technology accessible to as many people as possible.
1) Collect and centralize a maximum amount of environmental impact data (LCA, Product Carbon Footprint, carbon footprints, etc.) on each stage of the life cycle of a piece of equipment, an infrastructure or a digital service.
2) Analyze this data to:
- Validate their relevance and consistency
- Evaluate their level of confidence
- Identify ratios, variables or formulas to measure impact
- Feed the data repository with the results of these analyzes
3) Share this data freely and as widely as possible to:
- that they can be reviewed and possibly corrected
- that they can be freely used by all organizations wishing to measure the impact of all or part of their Information System
4) Update data in a collaborative way to have relevant data over time
Where to find our data?
A first version of the data repository is available here
How to contribute?
We invite you to join us to contribute at your level, according to your time and skills, to the following work :
- Identify publicly available data and add them to the repository
- Share the results of LCAs or carbon assessments
- Set up partnerships with actors publishing data (manufacturers, public organizations, LCA experts) to collect data directly
- Analyze the collected data
- Develop tools (crawlers, parsers, input forms...) to automate the flow of data
Do you want to contribute?